Thursday, July 8, 2010

Fast & Furious

Yesterday was my first real day of classes, and true to all the warnings about "boot camp" it was intense. We started at 9 a.m. with a large group lecture that lasted until noon when we took lunch. For lunch, I walked down the street to a place called Varsity where I had some pizza. New York Time's beat writer for the Jets, Greg Bishop, told me about it when I was emailing him about Syracuse (which is where he did his undergrad).

We started again at 1 p.m., and this time we split into smaller groups to write leads and work on some stories. That lasted clear until 5 p.m. when class ended. The work did not end, however. Our instructor (who happens to be the Sports Editor for the Syracuse Post Standard), assigned us a story that was due by 9 a.m. today. We had to interview a classmate and two other sources and write a profile about them.

Normally that wouldn't be an assignment that I would expect to take a long time, but it took awhile to get ahold of all the sources and when I did, they were very long winded. By the time I finished the interview, organized all the quotes and the story and wrote the story, it was 1:30 a.m.

Turns out, I got more sleep than a lot of my classmates, including the girl who was doing a profile on me. I woke up this morning to find a text from her sent around 3 a.m. when she finished.

Today was just as long, but with a lot less homework, so that is nice. The classes are fun though, and my experience both in writing and designing layouts for the paper will be very, very beneficial!

Tara and I are finally relaxing a little bit tonight. . . finally!

2 comments: