Monday, July 5, 2010

Last day of freedom. . .

School officially starts tomorrow, so that made today my last day of freedom. The first goal of the day was to find a decent printer that we could afford. So, we woke up and went to Sam's Club. Sure enough, they had a Lexmark printer/scanner/copier/fax machine for $50, so we grabbed that and a few other items and then headed over to Wegman's (the Lee's on steroids) to grab a few other things we didn't need in bulk.

Wegman's is right next to the furniture store Tara applied to on Friday, so she decided to pop in and see if there was any news. Thirty minutes later she came out and said she'd had and interview and went well. They told her she needed to pass a background test and a drug test and then she should be good to go. I guess they didn't say for sure that she has a job, but by the looks of it she does and we're pretty stoked about that. . . wouldn't you know, she would get a job at the first place she applied after arriving in Syracuse. Plus, we'll get a pretty good deal on new furniture!

After that, we headed home to unload the groceries. . . that turned out to be an adventure. Tara got chatting on the phone with her sister Jen, so I tried to carry up more groceries than I should have. Plus, we have to unlock the door to get into our building, walk up to the third floor, and then unlock the door to our apartment. By the time I got to our apartment door, things had shifted position and I had to put down the 2-pack bottle of syrup I was carrying so that I could get to my keys. I put the syrup on the banister, and it looked solid. And then it was gone. I looked up just in time to see the bottles hit the landing on the second floor. One of the bottles exploded and sent syrup flying everywhere. It was on the walls, the railings, dripping down the banister to the floor below. . . needless to say, we spent the next half hour or so cleaning it up as best we could!

Following the syrup explosion, things quieted down for awhile. I read a bunch of stuff that I'd been procrastinating reading and Tara read some more of her most recent vampire book. Around 7 p.m. we headed up to the restaurant at the Sheraton Hotel right by the university. The MNO group (Magazine Newspaper and Online journalism grad students) decided to have a little meet and greet before classes start tomorrow. We spent the rest of the evening there, and they seem like a pretty good group.

Now the fun starts tomorrow for both Tara and I. Hopefully she'll find out soon if she for sure got the job and journalism "Boot Camp" starts for me.

1 comment:

  1. Don't look at it as your last day of freedom. Look at it as your prep day for your Freedom March. It will be over in a blink of an eye, then you will have your life back and be on your way.

    ReplyDelete